5 Sex Workers Freed From Koh Kong Brothel
By | July 15, 2002

Five Cambodian sex workers were rescued by police from sexual exploitation and physical torture in a Koh Kong brothel last week, said Sin Sen, chief of judicial police for Koh Kong province.

All five claim they are under 18 years of age. They were taken from a brothel in Stung Veng commune, Smach Meanchey district, Sin Sen said.

The girls told police they had been beaten by the brothel owner and kept in the brothel against their will, he said. They were sent to stay with an unnamed human rights group in Koh Kong town, where they will be cared for and taught vocational skills, he said.

Police staged two raids on the same brothel following a tip from the Ministry of Women’s Affairs, the chief said. Three girls were res­cued in the first raid and two in the second.

Sin Sen said Stung Veng has recently sprung up as a brothel district. Previously, he said, a few brothels were scattered in the environs of Koh Kong town. But recently Stung Veng, 20 km from the town, has developed into a thriving brothel area.

The Ministry of Women’s Affairs has called for action to wipe out the brothels, and the provincial governor has ordered the police to crack down on the new red-light district, Sin Sen said. The brothel’s owner is still at large—she escaped before the police arrived, the police chief said. But police know the woman’s identity and are waiting for a warrant from the court to arrest her, he added.

 

© 2002 – 2013, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

The government has failed in recent years to take steps to prosecute perpetrators of sexual violence committed during the Khmer Rouge, according to the U.N. Secretary-General’s Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict.

Three Vietnamese nationals were arrested in Sihanoukville on Wednesday afternoon for kidnapping two 34-year-old Vietnamese men and demanding a $7,000 ransom from each of their families after luring them across the border on the pretense of a gambling trip, police said.

About 50 fired factory workers protested in front of the Phnom Penh Municipal court Wednesday after two of the factory’s five union representatives were summoned for questioning following strikes in February.

The appointment of General Sok Phal to head the Interior Ministry’s newly formed department to monitor migrant workers has raised concerns over his close familial connection to a labor recruitment industry fraught with human rights abuses.

As military police with AK-47s descended on protesting garment workers during their nationwide strike on January 3, Sam Ravy, a manager at one of the many factories along Phnom Penh’s Veng Sreng Street, was on the phone with his mother-in-law.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993