Cambodia to Sign Accord on Maids to Malaysia
By | November 2, 2013

The Cambodian and Malaysian governments will sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) within three months that will restart the business of sending Cambodian domestic workers to the country after a two-year moratorium, a Labor Ministry official said Friday.

After meeting with representatives from the Malaysian Home Ministry earlier this week, Othsman Hassan, secretary of state at the Ministry of Labor, said there will be no limit on the number of maids sent to Malaysia once the agreement is signed.

“Within three months, both governments will sign the MoU,” Mr. Hassan said Friday. “If there is no problems with the maids, we estimate that about 1,000 women per month will be sent to Malaysia.”

In October 2011, Prime Minister Hun Sen banned the sending of maids to Malaysia after recurring reports of serious abuse and exploitation of Cambodian workers at the hands of their employers and recruitment agencies that sent them.

Mr. Hassan said that when signed, the agreement would be in the best interests of Cambodian domestic workers.

“We received the draft agreement at the end of October and we will meet to discuss the draft agreement to decide which points we do and don’t agree with,” he said. “There are many points of the draft agreement that we have agreed on so far.”

Fadzlette Othman Merican, the press secretary for Malaysian Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, said that the Malaysian government was waiting for Cambodia to submit the memorandum.

“We are just waiting for the Cambodian government to have the proposal ready in three months time, then we will sit down and some kind of MoU will be agreed upon,” she said.

Ny Chakrya, head of monitoring for human rights at local NGO Adhoc, said that the Cambodian government must be sure that maids will be safe in Malaysia before it rescinds the moratorium.

“The government should put deep consideration into the issue before Cambodia signs the MoU because there have been a lot of issues with Cambodian maids in Malaysia,” more than for migrant workers in other countries, he said. “The government has the duty to negotiate to make it safe for workers to go to other countries.”

(Additional reporting by Janelle Kohnert)

© 2013, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

The government has failed in recent years to take steps to prosecute perpetrators of sexual violence committed during the Khmer Rouge, according to the U.N. Secretary-General’s Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict.

Three Vietnamese nationals were arrested in Sihanoukville on Wednesday afternoon for kidnapping two 34-year-old Vietnamese men and demanding a $7,000 ransom from each of their families after luring them across the border on the pretense of a gambling trip, police said.

About 50 fired factory workers protested in front of the Phnom Penh Municipal court Wednesday after two of the factory’s five union representatives were summoned for questioning following strikes in February.

The appointment of General Sok Phal to head the Interior Ministry’s newly formed department to monitor migrant workers has raised concerns over his close familial connection to a labor recruitment industry fraught with human rights abuses.

As military police with AK-47s descended on protesting garment workers during their nationwide strike on January 3, Sam Ravy, a manager at one of the many factories along Phnom Penh’s Veng Sreng Street, was on the phone with his mother-in-law.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993