Chinese Push Sesan Dam Talks With Hun Sen
By | January 23, 2014

The chairman of the Chinese company whose subsidiary will construct the Lower Sesan 2 dam met with Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday to inform him that the dam would be completed in three years’ time, Mr. Hun Sen’s assistant said.

Zhang Tingke, vice president of state-owned utility provider China Huaneng Group, told Mr. Hun Sen that he was in Cambodia to meet with local partners, including Ang & Associates Lawyer Co. Ltd., owned by tycoon Kith Meng, to start building the dam, Eang Sophalleth, Mr. Hun Sen’s personal assistant, told reporters after the meeting.

“He [Zhang Tingke] is visiting Cambodia to cooperate with Ang & Associates Lawyer group to build a hydropower dam and produce electricity at the Lower Sesan 2,” Mr. Sophalleth said.

“He also informed Samdech Prime Minister that this cooperation will push this the Lower Sesan 2 project forward so that electricity will be produced in 2017,” he said, adding that Mr. Hun Sen welcomed the company’s efforts. “Samdech Prime Minister welcomed China Huaneng Group and said that Chinese investments rely on the good relationship between Cambodia and China,” Mr. Sophalleth said after the meeting at the Peace Palace on Wednesday.

Despite environmental concerns by NGOs, Mr. Tingke said that Hydrolancang International Energy, the subsidiary of Huaneng, would avoid damaging the environment and people’s livelihoods.

However, the $781 million project in Stung Treng province is expected to displace more than 5,000 residents, impact the livelihoods of more than 100,000 and cause a drop of fish stock by nine percent for the entire Mekong basin, according to scientists.

(Additional reporting by Denise Hruby)

© 2014, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

Mu Sochua, a lawmaker-elect for the opposition CNRP, announced Thursday that she will on Sunday morning resume her campaign to enter Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park.

There were 185 reported traffic accidents nationwide over the Khmer New Year holiday this year, resulting in 48 fatalities and 406 injuries, an increase in accidents and injuries but a nearly 30 percent decrease in deaths compared to the holiday period last year, an official said.

Most garment factories did not open for business Thursday, choosing to extend the Khmer New Year holidays—which officially ended Wednesday—rather than face industrial action in the form of a planned nationwide stay-at-home strike.

A man was chopped to death with an ax Wednesday after he confronted a group of three men who allegedly beat his 12-year-old daughter on the dance floor of a Khmer New Year party, police said Thursday.

Villagers from an ethnic minority community in Koh Kong province’s Areng Valley continued their blockade over the Khmer New Year holiday of an access road leading to the site of a proposed dam they say would destroy their way of life.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993