No Role for Cambodia in Effort to Find Downed Malaysian Plane
By and | March 10, 2014

As regional governments rallied to assist in the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which disappeared Saturday over the South China Sea between Malaysia and Vietnam, officials said it was unlikely Cambodia could contribute to the effort.

The disappearance of the Beijing-bound Boeing 777 jet, which was carrying 239 passengers, has seen several regional nations put aside their differences over maritime claims to the South China Sea to cooperate in the search effort.

Vietnam has been leading the search operation in waters that run close to its maritime border with Cambodia, while Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and China, which had 159 passengers on board, are together scouring the sea using warships and aircraft for signs of wreckage.

The Thai navy was also on Sunday lending vessels and aircraft to the mission, while the U.S Navy has also sent a destroyer to the region.

Kheng Tito, spokesman for the National Military Police, said that no decision had been taken on whether Cambodia would participate, although he added it was unlikely Cambodia could help.

“Even the U.S., China, and Vietnam cannot find the aircraft and Cambodia does not have that kind of technology,” he said, adding that Cambodia could possibly help when the wreckage is found.

“The government is ready to help the victims,” he said.

Government spokesman Phay Siphan said that despite the territorial dispute in the region, Asean has an open sea policy.

“There is an agreement in place should any search and rescue operations need to be carried out.”

© 2014, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

In the face of an increase in work-related injuries, government officials gathered in Phnom Penh on Tuesday to start work on a new plan to reduce workplace accidents and to reflect on their achievements over the past five years.

About 3,000 garment workers went on strike in Kompong Chhnang province for a second day Tuesday, accusing their factory of withholding some of their monthly bonuses.

The Kompong Speu Provincial Court has ordered the Ministry of Interior to reopen its investigation into the death of a Frenchman and his four children, a judge said Thursday.

Two forestry administration officials who were arrested and detained in Kratie province for extorting money from pepper farmers were transferred to Phnom Penh on Tuesday upon the request of the Anti-Corruption Unit, officials said.

The Water Festival will be held in Phnom Penh this November for the first time since 353 people were trampled to death or suffocated in a stampede on a Koh Pich bridge during celebrations in 2010, officials said Tuesday.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993