Trash Collectors Back to Work With Pay Raise
By and | February 6, 2014

A strike by hundreds of workers at Phnom Penh’s waste collection firm ended Wednesday after their employer, Cintri, agreed to the strikers’ demands to raise wages and improve working conditions.

Shortly after the agreement was reached, Cintri’s green-colored garbage trucks and green-uniformed workers were busy clearing the city’s street of heaps of smelly trash that had built up since industrial action began on Sunday.

Riot police deploy Wednesday at the garbage truck depot of the city's waste disposal firm, Cintri, in Dangkao district, where hundreds of workers were striking for better working conditions and higher wages. (Siv Channa)

Riot police deploy Wednesday at the garbage truck depot of the city’s waste disposal firm, Cintri, in Dangkao district, where hundreds of workers were striking for better working conditions and higher wages. (Siv Channa)

“We agreed on all points today and the workers go back to work,” said Ngoun Sipheng, Cintri operations manager.

The new pay and conditions deal was reached at 2 p.m. when, after hours of negotiations, the workers agreed to accept a wage hike of between $20 and $25 per month depending on their job description.

With the $20 to $25 pay raise, trash collectors, who earn the lowest salaries at Cintri, will now receive $90 by the end of this month instead of $65. Garbage truck drivers working night shifts will see their salaries rise from $120 to $140. Other demands agreed to include overtime for working Sundays and free work uniforms.

Earlier this week, Cintri, which has held the monopoly to collect and dispose of the city’s waste since 2002, said that paying more than $80 per month for trash collectors would ruin the company. It is ten years since the company’s workers have had a pay rise.

“It is a good agreement because we get more money and we can go back to work, so it is good for the company as well,” said Mey Phan, a representative of the Trade Union Federation for Increasing Khmer Employees Lifestyles at Cintri.

“Although some workers don’t agree, but for now, we need a solution, this is all the company can provide at the moment and we can discuss more in a few months,” he said.

Pot Chhorn, 36, was among the Cintri workers not happy with the deal: “I agree with my [union] representative that we had to agree for now although I am still not happy with it.”

While the strike ended successfully and peacefully, the day started off tense Wednesday when, at around 9 a.m., dozens of military police, riot police and civilian security guards deployed at the two entrances of Cintri’s Vehicle Repair and Maintenance site in Dangkao district, where about 200 striking workers were holding their protest.

At Sophal, a 28-year-old trash collector who has been with Cintri for five years, like many, questioned the heavy police presence at the peaceful strike, which had, since Sunday, developed an almost festive air with the protesters bringing in a sound system to dance and drink beer.

“They create fear among us workers. Our strike is peaceful, so why do they send armed forces?” Mr. Sophal asked.

Asked about the police deployment, military police spokesman Kheng Tito said that they were merely there to protect property.

“The military police was only there to protect people and property,” he said.

Deputy Phnom Penh Governor Khuon Sreng likewise defended the use of the military police, saying that the garbage trucks had to return to Phnom Penh’s streets to pick up the piles of trash that were affecting people’s lives.

“If workers won’t allow the trucks to leave…we will use force,” he said earlier in the day Wednesday.

And if Cintri workers had not returned to work Wednesday, Mr. Sreng claimed he would have done the job himself.

“Police, military police and security guards and myself will go out if the workers don’t work,” Mr. Sreng said.

Prak Sokha, a representative of the strikers, said last night that about 80 percent of strikers had returned to work, with the rest expected to return Thursday.

© 2014, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

The government has failed in recent years to take steps to prosecute perpetrators of sexual violence committed during the Khmer Rouge, according to the U.N. Secretary-General’s Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict.

Three Vietnamese nationals were arrested in Sihanoukville on Wednesday afternoon for kidnapping two 34-year-old Vietnamese men and demanding a $7,000 ransom from each of their families after luring them across the border on the pretense of a gambling trip, police said.

About 50 fired factory workers protested in front of the Phnom Penh Municipal court Wednesday after two of the factory’s five union representatives were summoned for questioning following strikes in February.

The appointment of General Sok Phal to head the Interior Ministry’s newly formed department to monitor migrant workers has raised concerns over his close familial connection to a labor recruitment industry fraught with human rights abuses.

As military police with AK-47s descended on protesting garment workers during their nationwide strike on January 3, Sam Ravy, a manager at one of the many factories along Phnom Penh’s Veng Sreng Street, was on the phone with his mother-in-law.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993