Six Sent to Court Following Clashes With Police
By and | September 17, 2013

Officials at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Monday questioned six men accused of using violence against authorities when protesters clashed with security forces near Phnom Penh’s Monivong Bridge in fighting that saw a 29-year-old man shot dead.

The men were arrested Sun­day night, at the end of a day of demonstrations at Freedom Park and marches in the city led by the opposition CNRP.

Sanh Samoeun, 28; Ngugen Thi Dek, 20; Ek Chan Nu, 17; Tang Chongseang, 18; Song Nisai, 20; and Var Noeun, 20, were detained by Interior Ministry police late Sunday night and sent to court for questioning on Monday, said Interior Ministry penal police chief Lour Sokha.

“Police sent them to the court for questioning on Monday, but I don’t know whether they were charged or not,” Mr. Sokha said.

Court clerk Kem Cheng said the six men had been questioned by deputy prosecutor Sieng Sok and sent to investigating Judge Suos Sam Ath for further questioning.

“Deputy prosecutor Sieng Sok has questioned them and sent them to the investigating judge,” he said.

Chan Soveth, senior investigator for rights group Adhoc, who arrived at the scene of the clashes shortly before 7 p.m. on Sunday, said the arrests happened between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m.—shortly after Mao Chan, a commuter, was shot in the head and killed during an escalation in tensions between protesters and anti-riot forces.

“Around 8:30 [p.m.], a group of military police arrived. They opened the road…and they [made the] arrests,” Mr. Soveth said, putting the number of police at 1,000.

In a statement Monday, a group of 10 civil society organizations, including Adhoc and the Committee for Free and Fair Elections in Cambodia, called for the immediate release of the six men.

“At around 8:30 p.m., the victims moved razor-wire barricades in order to open up the road, and violence resulted when police fired tear gas, threw smoke grenades and fired live bullets into a crowd caught in the traffic jam, causing one death, eight injuries and six arrests,” the statement says.

“Please release the people who were arrested during the accident,” it says.

CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann said that his party had also requested that the men be freed.

“We appeal to the government authorities to release the six men who were arrested on Sunday,” he said, adding that the CNRP would launch its own investigation into whether the individuals had been CNRP supporters or mere bystanders.

(Additional reporting by Mech Dara)

© 2013, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

Three CNRP Youth activists facing charges over a July 15 brawl at Freedom Park were released on bail from Prey Sar Prison Friday, meaning that all 16 opposition figures implicated in what prosecutors say was an insurrection have been set free for the time being.

Three protesters were arbitrarily thrown onto municipal security trucks and driven away from a demonstration on Friday outside the Council of Ministers building, where Prime Minister Hun Sen had called a meeting to discuss how the government will manage protests in the city.

The Bati Tourism Development agency lost the right to manage and develop Tonle Bati Resort in Takeo province due to a breach of its contract with the government, the Council of Ministers announced Friday.

More than 15 months after a Global Witness report revealed that Vietnam’s state-owned rubber giant had illegally cleared land and displaced communities in Cambodia, the company has announced that it will accept and respond to complaints from those whose lives it has damaged.

When a Vietnamese man was killed by a mob in Phnom Penh following a traffic accident earlier this year, it highlighted growing tensions between ethnic Khmer and Vietnamese populations.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993