Interior Ministry Releases Its Account of Monivong Bridge Clashes
By | September 23, 2013

Interior Minister Sar Kheng has chastised the opposition CNRP for holding its demonstration in Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park last week for longer than authorized, and blamed the party for the deadly violence that took place near Monivong Bridge.

A 29-year-old construction worker was shot dead while sitting on his motorcycle near clashes that erupted between security forces and protestors in the area around the bridge.

“The CNRP violated the law on peaceful demonstrations and an agreement made with City Hall by staging protests for three days and nights and marched in different places outside of Freedom Park, which strongly affected Phnom Penh’s order and public security until a destructive act occurred, destroying state and private properties, opposing police forces who were on duty,” Mr. Kheng said in a statement released Sunday.

Blaming “a few bad-minded people” for the clashes that saw the construction worker killed and others seriously injured, Mr. Kheng adds that authorities should act to widely disseminate the statement’s account to coun­ter possible disinformation.

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche confirmed that Phnom Penh Municipality had received the letter and would act in accordance with Mr. Kheng’s requests to disseminate the statement.

“We have always worked closely with the ministry, and we will not be reluctant to implement the order now that we’ve received it,” he said, adding that security measures were already being put in place for this morning’s first sitting of the National Assembly.

Kompong Thom provincial Governor Uch Sam On said he had also received the letter and would follow its instructions.

“We have disseminated this letter to the local authorities and to the people to make them aware of this issue,” he said, adding that he would nevertheless not prevent anyone from going to Phnom Penh for future opposition demonstrations.

“We will not prevent the people from going to the demonstration, but we want them to know how to deal with the problems they will face [if clashes break out],” he said.

CNRP spokesman Yim Sovann denied the party’s supporters had damaged any property. “It’s not true because we staged the demonstration peacefully,” he said. “We didn’t destroy any property.”

© 2013, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

Mu Sochua, a lawmaker-elect for the opposition CNRP, announced Thursday that she will on Sunday morning resume her campaign to enter Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park.

There were 185 reported traffic accidents nationwide over the Khmer New Year holiday this year, resulting in 48 fatalities and 406 injuries, an increase in accidents and injuries but a nearly 30 percent decrease in deaths compared to the holiday period last year, an official said.

Most garment factories did not open for business Thursday, choosing to extend the Khmer New Year holidays—which officially ended Wednesday—rather than face industrial action in the form of a planned nationwide stay-at-home strike.

A man was chopped to death with an ax Wednesday after he confronted a group of three men who allegedly beat his 12-year-old daughter on the dance floor of a Khmer New Year party, police said Thursday.

Villagers from an ethnic minority community in Koh Kong province’s Areng Valley continued their blockade over the Khmer New Year holiday of an access road leading to the site of a proposed dam they say would destroy their way of life.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993