Six Charged With Assault in Wake of Clashes With Police
By and | September 18, 2013

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Tuesday charged six men with assault and destruction of property for their role in clashes Sunday night between security forces, protesters and angry commuters, which resulted in a 29-year-old construction worker being shot dead.

Sanh Samoeun, 28; Nguyen Thi Dek, 20; Ek Chan Nu, 17; Tang Chongseang, 18; Song Nisai, 20; and Var Noeun, 20, were arrested by police about 9 p.m. Sunday, when a day of demonstrations led by the opposition CNRP turned violent in the area of Monivong Bridge.

“The court has charged them and sent them to prison for pre-trial detention,” Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge Suos Sam Ath said Tuesday, declining to comment further.

Am Sam Ath, technical supervisor at rights group Licadho, which is providing legal counsel for the suspects, said the men had been charged with intentional violence and destruction of property under articles 218, 410, and 411 of the Criminal Code.

Together, the charges carry prison sentences of up to 10 years and fines as high as 20 million riel, or about $5,000.

“They [the suspects] told the court that they were not involved in the incident. They [merely] tried to cross the bridge,” Mr. Sam Ath said.

According to witnesses, much of the violence that occurred Sun­day night resulted when commuters who were unable to get home attempted to move razor-wire barricades, eliciting a heavy-handed response from roughly 1,000 military police and riot police armed with guns, rubber bullets, tear gas and smoke grenades.

While television stations barely covered these events, or the CNRP-led mass protests earlier that day, footage of Tuesday’s court hearing was widely broadcast on local channels.

Chan Soveth, a senior investigator for rights group Adhoc, who was present at the time the six men were arrested, said he could not be sure whether or not they had been directly involved in the conflict.

However, the authorities should be more concerned with investigating the death of Mao Sok Chan, who was killed instantly when he was shot in the head by police, Mr. Soveth said.

“Remember Kratie?” he said, referring to the case in May last year when armed government forces shot dead a 14-year-old girl in Kratie province’s Broma village, ostensibly to put down a rural uprising.

“This is the culture of the armed forces,” he said.

Military police spokesman Brigadier General Kheng Tito confirmed Tuesday that an investigation into the shooting was under way, but declined to provide further details.

© 2013, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.

LATEST

Mu Sochua, a lawmaker-elect for the opposition CNRP, announced Thursday that she will on Sunday morning resume her campaign to enter Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park.

There were 185 reported traffic accidents nationwide over the Khmer New Year holiday this year, resulting in 48 fatalities and 406 injuries, an increase in accidents and injuries but a nearly 30 percent decrease in deaths compared to the holiday period last year, an official said.

Most garment factories did not open for business Thursday, choosing to extend the Khmer New Year holidays—which officially ended Wednesday—rather than face industrial action in the form of a planned nationwide stay-at-home strike.

A man was chopped to death with an ax Wednesday after he confronted a group of three men who allegedly beat his 12-year-old daughter on the dance floor of a Khmer New Year party, police said Thursday.

Villagers from an ethnic minority community in Koh Kong province’s Areng Valley continued their blockade over the Khmer New Year holiday of an access road leading to the site of a proposed dam they say would destroy their way of life.

The Cambodia Daily | All the News Without Fear or Favor | The Daily Newspaper of Record Since 1993