Chroy Changva Families Submit Petition to PM

A group of Phnom Penh residents who have refused to accept compensation offered for land sold by the government for development in 2013 on Wednesday delivered a petition seeking Prime Minister Hun Sen’s intervention.

City Hall last month offered families just 10 percent of the farmland they lost to the $3 billion Overseas Cambodia Investment Corporation development project, officials and representatives of the families said.

Chea Sophat, a representative of families involved in a land dispute in Phnom Penh’s Chroy Changva district, speaks at Wat Botum Park after submitting a petition to Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday. (Hannah Hawkins/The Cambodia Daily)

They have until the end of the month to negotiate the offer.

“We submit the petition to Hun Sen’s cabinet to announce that we completely reject City Hall’s deadline,” said Chea Sophat, a representative of the Chroy Changva district protesters.

“Where is the law from which they take our whole land and give us only 10 percent?”

Municipal spokesman Met Measpheakdey said that the Phnom Penh government had failed to persuade the families to accept the offer.

“If they still don’t agree with City Hall’s policy, we can’t stop them,” from petitioning the prime minister, he said.

[email protected]

© 2017, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.