Authorities in Cambodia on Friday said they have launched an investigation into a Chinese firm found to have imported 1,600 tons of banned plastic waste into the coastal city of Sihanoukville, but environmental activists suggested that those conducting the probe are likely complicit in the crime.
Kun Nhim, director-general of the General Department of Customs and Excise told RFA’s Khmer Service that Chingyeun Plastics, a Chinese-owned company with Cambodian shareholders, was responsible for bringing the waste into Cambodia via 86 shipping containers on multiple occasions since October last year, and had never made tax declarations.
The shipping containers and their contents were discovered by authorities at the Sihanoukville Autonomous Port earlier this week during a crackdown on banned waste.
© 2019, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.