A judge from Phnom Penh Municipal Court has started preparing for the trial of Nuon Paet, the Khmer Rouge leader accused of the murder of three tourists in 1994, a court official said Tuesday.
The investigating judge must by law assess all available evidence before setting a date for a trial or throwing the case out.
“We don’t exactly know how long it will take for the trial,” said Nop Sophon, deputy director of the municipal court. “If the case is complicated, the court could take up to six months, following legal procedures.”
Nuon Paet was arrested earlier this month. Second Prime Minister Hun Sen, who has indicated he would like a speedy trial, has invited the families of the victims to send lawyers to attend the trial. A spokesman for the British Embassy said Tuesday the UK government had contacted the family of Mark Slater but had not received any further instructions.
© 1998 – 2013, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.