The death of a man accused by two of his children alongside a Siem Reap bar owner of being involved in the unsolved disappearance of three siblings in Australia could make way for witnesses he blackmailed into silence to come forward, his son said on Sunday.
But in the days following Max McIntyre’s death by natural causes in a South Australia nursing home at age 89 on Tuesday, another of his sons has lit a series of bonfires on his father’s property, potentially destroying evidence linking his father to the case, his son Andrew McIntyre, 63, said.
“My father has blackmailed a lot of people. Now that he has died they may be able to come forward,” he said.
Mr. McIntyre and his sister Ruth Collins claim they witnessed events following the abduction of the Beaumont children—Grant, 4, Arna, 7, and Jane, 9—from Glenelg Beach in Adelaide in January 1966. Ms. Collins has said her father showed her the children’s corpses in the trunk of the family car, while Mr. McIntyre has said hours later that day he sat in the bloodied front seat of a car belonging to Anthony Munro, 72, a friend of their fathers who went on to own a bar in Siem Reap City.
Max McIntyre was quoted in South Australian newspaper The Advertiser in 2015 denying involvement in the Beaumont case. He said a man—whom reporter Bryan Littlely said he identified as Mr. Munro—“turned up with the three bodies in the back of the car.”
The lead investigator on the Beaumont case, Detective Senior Sergeant David Sheridan of the South Australia Police’s major crime investigation branch, has previously said that three independent probes into the claims against Mr. Munro and Max McIntyre have shown that there is “absolutely no evidence that they’re involved.”
He did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Mr. Munro, a convicted pedophile, is currently in prison in Australia awaiting sentencing for 10 counts of child sex abuse dating from the 1960s to 1980s, in which Andrew McIntyre is one of two plaintiffs. He is also the subject of an ongoing investigation launched in 2014 by Siem Reap anti-human trafficking police and anti-pedophile NGO Action Pour Les Enfants over claims he sexually abused two boys under the age of 15.
While Max McIntyre’s death raises hope that more witnesses may come forward, Mr. McIntyre said his brother Daniel McIntyre had been destroying evidence.
“My brother is burning all the evidence he could that was above ground,” he said, claiming there had been four to five fires on the family’s Stansbury property in the last six days.
Speaking to Australian Seven News network last week, Daniel McIntyre, 49, denied destroying evidence. “It’s just wood, but I’m not saying a word,” he said.
But his brother, Andrew, said he remained confident the case would be solved.
“There are lots of witnesses…. We’re all waiting to tell our story. We’re not dead,” he said. “We will solve this.”
Mr. Munro’s lawyer, Stephen Ey, said he was unconcerned about new testimony in the wake of Max McIntyre’s death.
“They can come forward and we’ll address it when the time comes,” he said. “It’s been an issue for the last 15 months and nothing has changed as far as I’m concerned…. The whole thing is denied.”
© 2017, The Cambodia Daily. All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced in print, electronically, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without written permission.